At Capital City School, our Counselors are ready to help all students in the areas of academic achievement, personal/social development and career development, ensuring today’s students become the productive, well-adjusted adults of tomorrow.
Secondary School Counselors Implement the School Counseling Program by Providing:
- Academic skills support
- Organizational, study and test-taking skills
- Postsecondary planning and application process
- Career planning
- Education in understanding self and others
- Coping strategies
- Peer relationships and effective social skills
- Communication, problem-solving, decision-making, conflict resolution and study skills
- Career awareness and the world of work
- Substance abuse education
- Multicultural/diversity awareness
Individual Student Planning
- Goal setting
- Academic plans
- Career plans
- Problem solving
- Education in understanding of self, including strengths and weaknesses
- Transition plans
- Individual and small-group counseling
- Individual/family/school crisis intervention
- Peer facilitation
- Professional development
- Consultation, collaboration and teaming
- Program management and operation
If you have any questions or concerns your counselors are here to help you!
Both Counselors Specialize in:
- Suicide Assessment.
- Home Visits.
- Referrals out to other District service providers in the areas of physical and mental health.
- Referrals to Homeless services.
- Senior project advisement and support for students.
- Student Transfers.
- Infinite Campus support for staff and our site.
- Reference letters for current and former students.
- Foster Youth support.
- Information regarding Adult Ed programs and diploma equivalency testing.
- Transcript reviews.
- Graduation planning, assessment.
- College Majors and campuses explorations.
- Credit adjustments.
- Staffs and Students ID.
- Build Resumes.
- Collaboration with parents, students, teachers, administrators, and community members.
Mr. Nguyen Specializes in:
- Post-Secondary options – Military (all branch of the armed forces), passing scores on the ASVAB.
- FAFSA, Cal Grant, Scholarships
Mr. Whitehead Specializes in:
- Referrals for Child Development (i.e. pregnant and parenting teen support services).
- The lead for our sites CCGI program- Implementing and monitoring our sites use of the California College & Career planning online tool.
- Field Trip Planning