Q: Is Capital City School a private school?
A: No, CCS is an alternative public school. It is a part of the Sacramento City Unified School District.

Q: Is Capital City School a continuation school?
A: No, CCS is an alternative school. It uses the Independent Study format. Students who are not able to fulfill academic requirements or abide policies will be dismissed from our program.

Q: Does the district provide transportation to the school?
A: No, transportation is not part of the services provided by the CCS. It is the responsibility of the student, as well as the parent/guardian, to come to school regularly and on time.

Q: If a student graduates from Capital City School, can they attend a college such as UC/CSU schools?
A: Yes, Capital City School offers A-G approved courses that meet the requirements for UC/CSU college admission. Students are held to the same requirements for graduation as students from the district’s comprehensive high schools.

Q: Does Capital City School have K-12 students?
A: Yes, CCS has programs for students in grades K-12.

Q: Can I play sports at while attending Capital City School?
A: Yes, CCS provides a well-rounded independent study program that allows students to participate in their school of residence (SOR) with regards to sports, ROTC, or after school-sponsored activities.

Q: Can I go to dances and proms?
A: Yes, students can attend dances and proms if they were invited by a student from one of the district’s comprehensive schools with Principal’s approval.

Q: What happens if I do not complete the work that I was assigned?
A: If you do not complete the required assignments for each appointment, you will receive one warning that you have the equivalency of five truancies on record. If you repeatedly miss an appointment, with unsatisfactory work completed, a meeting with be scheduled with either the Principal or Counselor to discuss your standing at the school. If these modifications don’t help you then the Administration may revoke your placement at CCS and return your paperwork to the placement office for a new placement in the district. Complete assignments are required for each appointment.

Q: What if I have a real emergency and cannot attend school?
A: A student who, because of special circumstances (e.g. hospitalization), cannot keep his or her appointment or complete school work, can call the teacher or office to reschedule an appointment. If an extended illness occurs at the Principal’s discretion, might be put on “inactive” status until he or she is able to resume schooling, or with be withdrawn but their place will be held for when the student is able to return.

Q: What programs does SCUSD offer in addition to the standard high school diploma?
A: In addition to the standard high school diploma, SCUSD offers high school completion through the G.E.D. and C.H.S.P.E., each having different requirements. You may ask your teacher for further information on the following:

The General Education Development Program (G.E.D.) –
The G.E.D. high school equivalency diploma is a legal equivalent of any other high school diploma. With it, students can qualify for civil service or for apprentice programs. It can also be used to get into college. The G.E.D. test contains writing skills, social studies, science, reading, and mathematics. Students must be at least 18 years old to take the test. Students without mastery of the skills you would expect to have upon completion of a regular high school program (including algebra) probably will not pass the test without going to school and learning the skills first. For this reason, as well as due to the age requirement, it is only offered through Adult Education.

The California High School Proficiency Examination –
This examination provides an opportunity for eligible persons who are proficient in the basic skills of mathematics, social studies, science, reading, and writing, to obtain the equivalent, by law, of a high school diploma. On the testing date, the student must be at least 16 years of age and must be enrolled in at least the second trimester of 10th grade. The State Board of Education awards each person who passes the C.H.S.P.E. a Certificate of Proficiency, which is the equivalent of a high school diploma. Passing the test does not, however, exempt an examinee from required school attendance unless he/she has verified parental approval to leave school early.

Q: What about graduation?
A: Coursework and credits are the same as those required at other schools in the Sacramento City Unified School District. CCS is fully accredited with WASC. This means that the grades and credits you earn carry the same value as any accredited school in the district. You may graduate from CCS or return to your home high school to graduate with your class. In order to graduate with your class, however, you must return to your home high school at least one semester before you plan to graduate. If you stay at CCS, you will receive the same high school diploma (complete with a graduation ceremony, cap and gown) given at all SCUSD high schools.

Kids on Laptop
Students Looking at Slideshow Presentation in Classroom