Why Capital City?
The Independent Study Program provides an alternative educational environment that empowers students and their families to achieve academic and social goals that have been inhibited in the traditional classroom setting.
Based upon the academic requirements of the District-adopted curriculum, Capital City offers the opportunity for students to achieve their graduation goal and provides the foundation for success in pursuing further education or a career.
The programs that are offered by Capital City School are geared at those students with;
- emotional, physical or health-related issues.
- severe emotional anxiety, magnified by stressors associated with a traditional school setting.
- children who must work during school hours.
- religious commitments, practices and beliefs that have created an antagonistic academic environment.
Our campus provides a safe environment to those students that may have been the target of bullying and physical threating in other school settings. We encourage an environment that empowers the student through interactive classrooms, independent curriculum and individual personal and social development.
“With Capital City School, your child can succeed in their academic goals and pursue their ongoing education and career.”
Common Core & The Whole Child
Within the last three years, SCUSD has launched two major teaching and learning initiatives to improve the quality of classroom instruction and the climate for learning at our schools: The California Common Core State Standards and Social-Emotional Learning.
These initiatives are about providing a “whole child” education to the students we serve.
Whole Child means every student:
- Learns in an environment that is physically and emotionally safe for children and adults
- Learns about and practices healthy living
- Is actively engaged in learning and connected to school and the community
And is challenged academically and prepared for success in college and careers.
SCUSD is committed to giving every student the knowledge, habits and skills that can only come from a rigorous, relevant and well-rounded education.
Through this commitment, we are preparing students to choose a path that is right for them:
in a Trade
Capital City School believes that all students can learn. We provide a positive experience that meets individualized student needs and satisfies the SCUSD graduation requirements.
All of our Capital City School students are encouraged to become involved in campus initiatives including “Project Green”, an initiative managed by students and advisors that encourages the tenets of reduce, reuse and recycle. Through this initiative are students demonstrate social responsibility, leadership and are encouraged to propose additional ways to reduce our footprint.
Students enjoy the benefit of shared sessions outdoors on our campus, including sharing lunch on the many picnic tables located on campus.
Counselors are available, providing a support network to students and their families by providing academic and classroom guidance, individualized problem solving and goal setting for students, peer and family counseling. Our counselors are integral to the success of our students and their families and are equipped to facilitate in coping strategies, the development of social skills, conflict resolution and areas related to substance and physical abuse.
“No one knows what the future holds – the risk is in under-preparing students for an ever-evolving world and thereby limiting their choices. Our work to ready students for college and career begins the minute a child walks through our doors.”
At Capital City School, our Counselors are ready to help all students in the areas of academic achievement, personal/social development and career development, ensuring today’s students become the productive, well-adjusted adults of tomorrow.
Academic & Career Development in Academic
- Organizational, study and test-taking skills
- Post-secondary transitional planning and application process
- Career and professional planning
- Career awareness and the world of work
Social Awareness & Communications Development
- Education in understanding self and others
- Peer relationships and effective social skills
- Communication, problem-solving, decision-making, conflict resolution and study skills
- Substance abuse education
- Multicultural/diversity awareness
Response Services & Crisis Intervention
- Individual and small-group counseling
- Individual/family/school crisis intervention
- Student body peer facilitation
- Professional development
- Consultation, collaboration and teaming
- Program management and operation
Capital City School is a fully-accredited institution that utilizes alternative teaching strategies. Our students have respective goals regarding their education. Thus, it is our mission is to guide and help them in accomplishing those goals. We give our students the liberty to choose the education program that will meet their objectives.
Our hands-on academic programs encompass all grade levels. It aims to train students in critical thinking and problem-solving.